Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Politics & Bullshit by JD Riggz

Politics & Bullsh*t
Blog Entry #1
Yo what it do what it did people?. It's JD Riggz. I'm bringing you my thoughts of the record industry and the shady-ness within it. I'll be doing this every week or so to let you and everybody else know what's up with me and the squad.
Let's get right into it...The rap game is so confusing right now. I hear alot of talk about hip-hop being dead or hip-hop missing something. Honestly, I agree but at the same time hip-hop fans have it in their head already of who they want to listen to. Time's change. And with time's changing, so does the music. People have to realize that you have to forget about hearing the same sound you heard in '93 with De La Soul & A Tribe Called Quest. The music will not be the same because of the progression of not only the music and the business, but ultimatley you. Everybody remembers where they were, who they were with, what they were doing, when they first heard Nas' "Illmatic" or Dr. Dre's "The Chronic". Even recently when you first heard 50 Cent's "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" or Little Brother's "The Chitlin Circuit"(or for some "The Minstrel Show"). With the time chaning, you have to accept change. Me, I have...a little. Right now, most of my favorite "old-school" artists aren't banging out quality music so I resorted to listening to alooot of R&B( Ryan Leslie, Dwele, Rashad, D'Angelo, Van Hunt, etc.) or finding new artists(Wale, Skyzoo-my nigga, Esso, Nino Bless, Jay Electronica, Kid Cudi, Theo, AC, etc.). See, it's as simple as that. Don't complain and run ya mouth just run to the radio and TURN IT OFF.
I still got respect for the rap game but the game has no respect for me. I've done many successful things in the rap industry(not to brag, just saying). But it seems like people don't either understand my music or they don't understand me. "HIStory" in my view, and others, is that it's one of the best mixtape releases to come out this year. That's a good thing. But I think the public, and record executives are confused sort of like I'am. See, when you rap, you want a record deal. Getting that deal is like getting a schloarship to an Ivy League. People in the inside want you but some prick behind his desk says, "You're not what we're looking for". I've had that happen many times so I don't get upset anymore. I'll sit back, smoke, drink and think about the situation. After my blunt went out and I ran out of henny I just dont see what you're looking for. You want somebody who can sell records but nobody's buying records. You want somebody who can sell ringtones, but nobody can afford it. I've heard it all from "you're too lyrical", "you're too hard", "you're too hip-hop" and lastly but not least(this is a good one)"you're too new york".
My peeve about the record industry is you're going broke trying to find the next mainstream super-star but he's sitting right in front of your face. Even if you sign the most underground act, you can splash and dash them into superstar status. Record labels can actually make people buy records. Instead, they want the quick-buck of a ringtone sale. I don't know why labels are thinking short-term but longevity of the labels rest on the longevity of their artists.
Maybe I'm just confused. Maybe I see way more in myself than I should. I think I'm one of the best like any other MC should think the same. It's not being cocky or arrogant it's just the public and press thinks the same thing. Maybe I'm too much of a real nigga for the industry. But all in all, I give this rap game my all. I'm just an everyday man trapped in the everyday struggle trying to make it out. Same with my crew. One day(and soon), I hope people realize my vision, wake-up. Or maybe one day, I can just stopped being confused.
~Riggz

No comments: